I am a sponge when it comes to consuming information about development topics. As developers, we don't have a choice - we need to stay current. While I'm a big fan of using RSS feeds (such as Feedly) and developer link aggregation sites (like Morning Dew), one of my favorite ways to consume information is with podcasts. That way, I can consume information whether I'm driving around, working out, or at my desk.
Here are some of my favorites.
.NET and Microsoft Specific Podcasts
- .NET Rocks - every .NET developer's podcast list should start with this. Carl Franklin (@carlfranklin) and Richard Campbell (@richcampbell) have been running this podcast for almost 1600 episodes. They discuss various .NET topics, from the high levels to the little details.
- The .NET Core Podcast - as of this post (September 2018), there is just one episode but Jamie Taylor (@dotnetcoreblog) has a great concept in devoting a podcast to the .NET Core platform. So far, so good.
- Channel 9 - you are probably more familiar with Channel 9 as the Microsoft video stream, but an audio version is available as well. The topics are varied and updates are pushed several times a day.
- MS Dev Show - Carl Schweitzer (@carlschweitzer) and Jason Young (@ytechie) run an awesome podcast with in-depth discussions on various Microsoft development topics.
- Windows Weekly - while this isn't strictly developer focused, I like to listen from time to time to understand what's new with the Windows ecosystem.
General Development Podcasts
- The 6 Figure Developer Podcast - this is a great podcast with interviews with the leading minds in software development by John Callaway (@matsubonsai), Clayton Hunt (@ClaytonHunt_104), and Jon Ash (@ashjonm).
- The Changelog - this podcast focuses on open-source software development and is definitely a must-listen. The hosts - Adam Stacoviak (@adamstac) and Jerod Santo (@jerodsanto) - always do a great job.
- Coding Blocks - this is quickly becoming one of my favorites. The hosts - Allen Underwood (@theallenu), Joe Zack (@THEjoezack), Michael Outlaw (@iamwaltuo) - go in-depth on development topics. The topics are focused on their .NET experience but can be applied to any development environment.
- The Cynical Developer - James Studdart (@JamesStuddart) offers quick but useful podcasts about general development.
- Developer on Fire - Dave Rael (@raelyard) runs a great podcast that takes on the more human side of today's leading software developers.
- Hanselminutes - Fresh Talk and Tech for Developers - if you've worked with the .NET community, you are probably aware of Scott Hanselman (@shanselman). His weekly podcasts are nice, brief 30-minute talks with technical leaders talking about various topics.
- Weekly Dev Tips - in this podcast, Steve Smith (@ardalis) goes through quick, easy to digest (~10 minutes) tips on improving your development life.
- Tales From the Script - this podcast focuses on front-end topics. The host, Chris DeMars (@saltnburnem), has a great demeanor and a good interviewer.
Any other suggestions? Let me know!